Noun(1) a remark that calls attention to something or someone(2) a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage(3) an indicator that orients you generally(4) a book to which you can refer for authoritative facts(5) a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability(6) the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to(7) the act of referring or consulting(8) a publication (or a passage from a publication(9) (computer science(10) the relation between a word or phrase and the object or idea it refers to
Verb(1) refer to
(1) This creates a difficulty in relation to powers exercised by local authorities without reference to a court, such as those concerning common lodging-houses.(2) But soon it spread to giving staff the opportunity to design the layout of a new factory, and from there to letting them set production schedules and targets without reference to managers.(3) Peter Mandelson and Robin Cook, the cabinet Europhiles, both made reference to ├ö├ç├┐new mechanisms├ö├ç├û for dealing with Europe on the conference fringe.(4) You can search through Bible Gateway's content by entering a keyword or a specific passage reference .(5) keep your notes for future reference(6) Peake also made reference to the existence of the National Lotteries Control Board on Duke Street, which lay in close proximity to the Methodist Church just across the road.(7) Few buying decisions are made without reference to others, so it is important to identify the members of the decision-making unit.(8) The discussion from the Junior Group made reference to the fact that Waterford was not as bad as other cities in relation to crime but that there was a concern over pickpockets.(9) I've written novels which make frequent passing reference to the Soviet Union, Lenin, Trotsky, and communism.(10) While I understand that most readers will be at their desks with easy access to a hymnal, I would have liked to see each text printed in the book for quick reference .(11) Consequently, other atomic weights calculated by reference to oxygen also remained debatable.(12) It is clear the applicant made a deliberate decision, without reference to planning officers, to implement changes.(13) While This Far by Faith tells good stories, readers who wish to use the book for quick reference may find the book's loose organization a bit frustrating.(14) That work was then put on video and stored as an invaluable source of reference .(15) The nature of that extension can be seen by reference to two passages in the report.(16) They're derivative - the top of the tower in the middle reminds of some other building, and unfortunately I loaned out the book that has the reference .
(1) reference number :: ferwizing number
(2) with reference to :: mei ferwizing nei
(3) reference book :: neislachwurk
(4) terms of reference :: Terms of referinsje
(5) cross-reference :: cross-referinsje
(6) frame of reference :: referinsjeramt
(7) in reference to :: in ferwizing nei
(8) reference point :: referinsje punt
(9) quick reference :: flugge referinsje
1. mention of ::
2. source ::
3. referral ::
4. testimonial ::
5. reference book ::
6. mention ::
7. address ::
8. citation ::
9. point of reference ::
punt fan referinsje
10. character ::
11. consultation ::
12. extension ::
13. cite ::
reference, referenced, references, referencing
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
If you ever need a REFERENCE
or anything, just let me know.
The Big Bang Theory Season 9, Episode 23
...you'd be in a non-inertial
REFERENCE frame and would...
The Big Bang Theory Season 1, Episode 3
was an obvious REFERENCE
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 3
Is that a REFERENCE
to my speech impediment?
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 10
You're familiar with the REFERENCE?
The Big Bang Theory Season 10, Episode 7
English to Frisian Dictionary: reference
Meaning and definitions of reference, translation in Frisian
language for reference with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of reference in Frisian and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'reference'
What reference means in Frisian, reference meaning
in Frisian, reference
definition, examples and pronunciation
of reference in Frisian language.