Noun(1) any monetary aid(2) the act of providing a subsidy(3) (law(4) Scottish painter; cousin of Lytton Strachey and member of the Bloomsbury Group (1885-1978(5) United States actor (born in England, 1904-1986(6) 18th President of the United States; commander of the Union armies in the American Civil War (1822-1885(7) a contract granting the right to operate a subsidiary business(8) a right or privilege that has been granted
Verb(1) let have(2) give as judged due or on the basis of merit(3) be willing to concede(4) allow to have(5) bestow, especially officially(6) give over; surrender or relinquish to the physical control of another(7) transfer by deed
(1) Thus in some countries, we have been able to craft the license to give the author the power to grant both copyrights and moral rights.(2) certainly, I must grant you that!(3) Accordingly he argued that the Council should have sought judicial review of the grant of listed building consent in 1993.(4) In their dissenting note both the members had stated that the committee did not have the power to go into the question of grant or refusal of minority statues to anyone.(5) Thus, Massachusetts will now take the lead among states as the only one to grant the right of civil marriage to same-sex couples.(6) Accordingly, whether to grant a relocation request is not a decision courts make lightly.(7) I did have time to think ├ö├ç├┐oh no├ö├ç├û (very useful, I grant you) and turn to follow her progress.(8) By the late Sixties, corruption spread to more areas of administration, particularly large projects and grant of permits, licences and quotas.(9) Especially since it's true (only an added benefit these days, I grant you.)(10) If you grant the request, put the arrangements in writing.(11) If the Secretary of State decides to grant a right of retention he shall issue to the grantee a retention document.(12) a research grant(13) The money will enable Essex Police to use the main grant for its intended purpose - crime prevention.(14) But it is to the discretion of the bank/building society that hold the assets whether or not they require to see the legal document called a grant of Probate or Letters of administration.(15) However, the preferred option is to grant a power of attorney.(16) you'll grant me that at least!
(1) student grant :: studint grant
(2) grant a visa :: grant in fisum
(3) land grant :: land grant
(4) research grant :: ûndersyk grant
(5) grant permission :: grant permission
(6) government grant :: ryksbydrage
(7) grant a loan :: grant in liening
(8) grant-in-aid :: grant-in-aid
1. endowment ::
2. concession ::
4. assignment ::
5. allow ::
6. give ::
7. admit ::
8. accord ::
9. award ::
10. concede ::
11. cede ::
1. deny ::
grant, granted, grantee, grantees, granter, granters, granting, grants
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
and, oh, I've just gotten
a big government GRANT
The Big Bang Theory Season 5, Episode 13
that the GRANT was
a kind of publicity maneuver
Breaking Bad Season 5, Episode 15
He's agreed to GRANT you your freedom.
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 9
We have a motion and a second
on the floor to GRANT the appeal.
Breaking Bad Season 4, Episode 3
wants to give me
a substantial GRANT.
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 6
English to Frisian Dictionary: grant
Meaning and definitions of grant, translation in Frisian
language for grant with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of grant in Frisian and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'grant'
What grant means in Frisian, grant meaning
in Frisian, grant
definition, examples and pronunciation
of grant in Frisian language.